3.24.2008

charleston

We had an enjoyable Easter yesterday with beautiful weather, a great morning church service, and good food. However, this weekend has been a bit solemn as on Saturday, Charleston, our dog of over 11 years, passed away. He's had cancer for a while now and with a weak heart, he finally went to sleep on Saturday. It is amazing how much joy a pet can bring into our lives. Over the past few days, I have paused coming in the front door, almost expecting to see Charley run around the corner to greet us. Last night, I didn't sleep much at all because I am used to having Charley at the foot of the bed.

We got Charleston shortly after we were first married. I was reluctant at first, but Jen really wanted a dog. We chose the quietest in the litter of Schnauzers which we found out later is the wrong way to choose a pet :) Over the next few weeks, I fell in love with this little fur ball and over the next 11 years realized that he is more a part of the family than a pet. So if you're reading this and have a pet, I encourage you to go and give him/her a hug and a treat...

Charley is greatly missed.



8 comments:

DJfoto said...

J&J. So sorry to hear about Charlie. We know how much he was loved and how much you will miss him.

Leslie said...

:( I'd give you guys hugs if I were there! Good memories...

Peter Karp Photography said...

Hi guys all the way from Downunder (Australia). I have never blogged to you before but I know exactly how you feel. We were in the same boat last year. Our dog "Heidi" (she was 11years old too) died from a tumour in the early hours of a Saturday morning the very same day I had to photograph a wedding. Boy that was hard! The following week we were very touched by a card we received in the mail from a dear Christian brother and sister that went like this...

In Memory of a wonderful member of the Karp family "Heidi"

When God made the earth and the sky, the flowers and the trees,
He then made all the animals
and all the birds and the bees.
And when His work was finished
not one was quite the same,
He said "I'll walk this earth of mine and give each one a name".
And so He travelled land and sea
and everywhere He went
a little creature followed Him
until his strength was spent.
When all were named upon the earth
and in the sky and sea
the little creature said "dear God
there's no name left for me".
The Father smiled and softly said
"I've left you till the end,
I've turned my own name back the front and called you DOG my friend".

Isn't that just so beautiful. Just substitute you and Charlie's name instead of ours and we hope this will bring you comfort just as much as it did to us.

Anonymous said...

I just know that there is a God and right now there is sense of Peace so beautiful within you, I hope that you can feel that peace all around you. I prayed for you, and your beloved friend Chrile and your family and I know God heard me. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

We are so sorry to hear your dear friend had to go.
We love you all! Ansley, Ryan, and Val too.

LSwanson said...

hadn't checked your website in awhile...oh man, i am so sorry! just know that he's in a better place just over the bridge smilin' at ya! my cassie just came in the room...she sends boxer kisses and wiggles! take care!

Honour Hiers Stewart said...

my heart goes out to you! I am so sorry for your loss!

Anonymous said...

Hey my sweeties...I am just catching up on your blog...I'm at work so I probably shouldn't have read this part now...cuz the tears are flowing. I miss Charlie too and I'm sooo sorry he's gone. The poem was wonderful and so fitting! I love you all so much. Talk to you soon.
Love mama